Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Model 14

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Stonehenge's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 14th, 2004
    Posts
    9
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello Can anybody tell me why a pair of 14s would go for over 1200.00 on ebay! is there something special about them.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Richard C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7th, 2002
    Posts
    229
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Stonehenge,
    Of course there is something special about the model 14! They look like a small version of the model 19, so they have to be worth something.

    Seriously, they usually go for about $550.00 a pair. If you looked at the betting history, the bids went up from about $400 between a couple people to $1200.00 and then a "sniper" came into the bidding in the last few seconds and won. Only one bid it was over! These didn't look very special to me, and I really like the model 14's.

    Richard C.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member MikeInNH's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Although that may be a high price for the 14's as compared to other 14's that have sold on EBay, I don't think it's that expensive for these speakers compared to NEW speakers of the same price.

    I looked several years ago to replace my model 15's with newer speakers. I literally had to spend OVER $5000 for speakers that sounded as good or better.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Stonehenge's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 14th, 2004
    Posts
    9
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Guys....I understand that any Altecs are a great buy compaired to what you can get new today, but you can pick up a nice pair of 19s for about $1000 and they would just smoke those 14s

  5. #5
    Inactive Member John Speaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 11th, 2005
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I sold a pair of Model 14's on ebay for $1050. However this was a private transaction that came about b/c of my e commerce site (www.ezluv.org/store/) which by some stroke of luck comes up high in the google rankings if you search on altec model 14 or altec model 15. The speakers were shipped to Hong Kong. The total trans amount was approx $2000 (w/ s and h). We used ebay simply to take advantage of the formal guarantee's availed by so doing. Also b/c my shopping cart is not working as of yet. They do not have Altec's commonly in Hong Kong and these model 14's will cause quite a sensation. Indeed, these speakers are fantastic sounding, far superior to the model 15's I also own. Despite the supposed handicap of their "plastic non-pro horns" they were an integral part of my studio set up along with some Dahlquist DQ10's and some Meyer powered enclosures. They are far more appropriate for the average sized room than the Model 19's which can quickly overwhelm the listener in such situations.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Richard C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7th, 2002
    Posts
    229
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Mike,
    Which speakers were you looking at, and did you get a chance to listen to your model 15's and the others side by side?

    Stonehenge,
    I have both model 14's and 19's, and I plan to set them in two different rooms. I just get too many complaints and wierd looks from people when they see the model 19's in the living room (mostly from people who think of BOSE 1st, when it comes to sound). The 14's are better for me, AND I had custom oak cabinets made to raise them 18". I can stand up, about 10 feet away and hear the highs. I wouldn't take $1000. for my Model 14's. Maybe some people can be patient, drive a ways for pickup, and get a good pair of 19's for $1000.00, but most of us want it while we are still thinking about it - so we visit eBay! I would have loved to get mine that cheap, but...$1400. and an 800 mile round trip, and I'm still happy! After all these years, I still got to bring mine home, packed in the ORIGINAL cardboard boxes. That ought to be worth something, too. forums

    TheeBoMBer,
    Did you hear from the buyer about any damage during shipment? The cheap "plastic non-pro horn" IS really too flimsy to support the weight of a 902 driver, without a brace. I hear that several have been broken during shipment or rough handling. I do plan to glue a wood block into the cabinet to anchor a brace. I like the "little" Mantaray horn (931-12), and since it is a CD horn, I have built considerable HF boost into the crossover. What do you consider average sized rooms? 16' x 16' or so? I will be placing my 19's across a corner - either side of a TV, and with a subwoofer facing into the corner. I want as much of the lowest pipe organ notes as I can get. And kick drum, of course!

    Richard C.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Steve Burger's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2002
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    A $1000 shipping to Hong Kong? I just got quotes to ship a pair of JBL C34's ( a lot heavier and larger than 14's) for about $400. I live on the West Coast,so that saves them a few bucks but still, what carrier do you use? I find baxglobal for shipping to the Orient is pretty hard to beat and their service has always been wonderful in my experience.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.